1. Three sets of application forms for postgraduate studies shall be issued by the Dean of SPGSR to an applicant who has paid the appropriate application fee.
2. Completed application forms, and copies of academic certificates and transcripts, and other relevant testimonials shall be submitted to the Dean of School of Postgraduate who shall record all the forms for statistical and monitoring purposes.
3. The Dean of SPGSR shall forward all applications to relevant Faculties/Schools where a PGSC shall vet the applications and prepare a shortlist of candidates.
4. Chairpersons of School/Faculty PGSC shall forward, through their respective Deans, names of short listed candidates, and minutes of PGSC meetings to the Dean of SPGSR.
5. The SPGSR Board shall scrutinize all applications for postgraduate studies admitted by faculties/schools, and if satisfied with an applicant’s registrability, shall recommend to Senate that the applicant be admitted.
6. Before recommending a candidate to the Senate for admission and registration, the board of SPGSR shall satisfy itself that:
i. The candidate meets the minimum entry requirements for that programme.
ii. The proposed field of study can be pursued under the supervision of the academic unit.
iii. The candidate has adequate opportunities for consulting his or her Supervisor(s) at least once a month. (School of Postgraduate Studies & Research - Rules and Regulations, 2013)
iv. The candidate has adequate facilities for practical work where applicable.
7. An academic unit where there is no sufficient capacity to teach, supervise and examine postgraduate students shall not admit or register students in that particular academic year. The recommended ratio of Postgraduate School to Postgraduate students for supervision shall be 1:10 at any one given time.
8. The Dean of SPGSR shall send letters of admission and/or registration to all successful candidates within one week of approval.
9. Admission into a current academic year for postgraduate candidates shall normally close on a date designated by Senate. The beginning of an academic year for Postgraduate students shall normally be synchronized with the university calendar.